- Board books: Newborn to age 3
- Picture books: Ages 3–8
- Coloring and activity (C&A) books: Ages 3–8
- Novelty books: Ages 3 and up, depending on content
- Early, leveled readers: Ages 5–9
- First chapter books: Ages 6–9 or 7–10
- Middle-grade books: Ages 8–12
- Young adult (YA) novels: Ages 12 and up or 14 and up
It’s okay to veer off a year or so in either direction when assigning a target audience age range to your work.
About The Author
Lisa Balthazar is an award-winning and bestselling writer and editor of books for children and adults.