We need FICTION COPY EDITORS/PROOFREADERS (mainstream and genre) with traditional publishing experience.
Editors work directly with clients and remain freelance/independent contractors. Please review our site before applying. Qualified applicants will be sent several short tests. Failed tests are not marked and returned.
DO NOT RESPOND
Do not respond if you are not an experienced FICTION editor, failed our tests within the past 18 months, cannot make a 1-year commitment to the network, or do not meet these basic requirements:
- You must be 100% freelance (no day job). No exceptions.
- 5+ years of editing experience and a track record of traditionally published FICTION (not self-published) that you have edited.
- Ability to use Microsoft Word’s tracking and comment features. Your version of Word must be 2007 or later.
- Ability to send and receive file attachments.
- Ability to check e-mail several times each day (including once per day on weekends). Our policy is a 3-hour (max) response time.
- Consistent availability (This is a high-volume network. Do not apply if you tend to stay busy and are only looking for “fill in” work.)
- Dependable Internet connectivity (primary/secondary).
- You must be based in the US.
- English must be your first language.
Freelance editors in this network:
- Must use written contracts/service agreements that specify the scope of the project, the cost per word/per page/per hour, and payment methods
- May only offer services related to the tests passed (e.g., developmental editors and writers who do not pass the copyediting or proofreading tests may not offer copyediting or proofreading services through this network)
- May not subcontract projects to other editors
- Must be willing to turn down projects that cannot (subjectively) be improved with the editor’s input
- Must provide all network clients with a feedback form that is returned to the network coordinator
Send resume and separate list of FICTION books edited (and subsequently published) to apply2014 -at- book-editing.com.
Preference will be given to applicants who intend to commit long-term, submit a bio written in third person (see examples on site), and provide verifiable feedback/references from clients (published writers).
Resumes without separate FICTION book lists will not be considered.
- No phone calls
- Do not use the chat button
- No hard-copy resumes
- No inquiries about “how to become an editor”
- No free advice
- No trainees / entry-level